Carey School of Business
A lot of people who want to reach the graduate level often complete an MBA degree. This is because this particular degree helps them build expert knowledge and skills in business, while at the same gain a competitive edge over other job applicants. The MBA degree has been around for quite some time now, and many schools now offer sub-specializations, one of which is Marketing & Advertising.
A Marketing & Advertising MBA is a type of business graduate degree where the focus is on communication with clients and customers, as well as marketing to them. The goal of marketing, generally speaking, is to build a company by increasing sales. To do this, they must focus on communication, corporate branding, advertising, market research, and public relations. While studying for an MBA degree, students may also focus on strategic planning, building campaigns, analysis of demand, consumer behavior, profit, and cost volume. Jump to 9+ Marketing Online MBA Programs for 2017.
Why Earn a Marketing & Advertising MBA?
If you obtain a Marketing & Advertising MBA degree, you will be able to enjoy a range of benefits. First, you will gain skills and knowledge, meaning that you will become better at your current job. But there are some secondary benefits as well because you will be seen as more qualified than someone with the same (or more) experience, but without an MBA, you will be more likely to be considered for certain jobs, and you will be more likely to receive a promotion.
Of course, there is a financial cost needed in completing an MBA. However, scholarships and grants are usually available. Additionally, you need to see the price for this degree course as an investment into your own future. Since you will have better career prospects, attracting higher pay, you should be able to see a very lucrative return on investment. In fact, the wealth of job opportunities that will open up to you is incredibly vast.
Clearly, there are many different reasons as to why pursuing a Marketing & Advertising MBA is a good idea. A final reason is that you even have the opportunity to study abroad if you so choose. You could complete a program in full at a foreign university, or you could conduct a project or internship abroad.
Schools can set their own admission requirements when it comes to their programs. However, most follow a certain set of standards, which are quite competitive when it comes to MBA programs. One example is the set of requirements at Concordia University Chicago:
• Transcripts from all previously attended higher education institutions
• Proof of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
• Two letters of recommendation
• A professional resume
• An essay covering an objective statement
• A minimum GPA of 2.85
• TOEFL/IELTS or other proof of English proficiency for non-native English speakers
Curriculum and Courses
Just as admission requirements can vary between schools, so can the curriculum. This is why it is so important to only study at a properly accredited school and, preferably, one that offers an accredited program. This guarantees that they maintain an acceptable standard of education. A good example of a Marketing & Advertising MBA that meets those standards is offered by the University of Texas at Austin – McCombs School of Business. Their curriculum includes:
• International business
• Foundations of international business
• International trade
• Global entrepreneurship
• Principles of marketing
• Internship in marketing & international business
• Information and analysis
• Professional selling and sales management
• Marketing practicum
• Marketing policies
• Brand management
• Business ethics and social responsibility
• Contemporary issues in marketing
• Data mining for business intel
• Integrated marketing communications
• Life and works of Adam Smith
• Marketing for entrepreneurs
• Consumer behavior
• Global marketing
• Independent research in international business
• Independent research in marketing
Career Outcomes and Job Titles
With a Marketing & Advertising MBA, you will have access to a wealth of different career opportunities. These include:
• Market researcher
• Public relations manager
• Branding specialist
• Social media marketer
You can also work in a variety of different organizations, including nonprofit organizations, government, your own enterprise, or the corporate world.
Job Salary & Outlook
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) has reported that Advertising, Promotions, and Marketing Managers earned an average of $124,850 per year as of May 2015 at bachelor’s degree level. Holding an MBA degree has been shown to increase annual salaries by an average of $15,000. The BLS also reported a projected 9% growth in demand for these professionals from 2014 to 2024, which is faster than the national average.
Scholarships and Grants
• Cornaro Scholarship, which provides $5,000 to those qualified and associated with KGP (Kappa Gamma Pi). Interested parties must demonstrate how their personal life is reflective of the “Faith and Service” motto of KGP. This includes demonstration of personal values, leadership experience, and volunteer work participation. Students must also submit proof of acceptance to an accredited graduate program.
• NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship Program, which is a $7,500 award to athletes who are interested in graduate studies. They must be nominated by the NCAA to be considered, which they can be if students excel both athletically and academically. They must also demonstrate that they aim to continue their graduate studies after receiving the grant.
• National Women’s Studies Association Graduate Scholarship, which has a value of $1,000, and is offered to a female student who is completing a master’s thesis and focusing this on women’s studies. It is advisable to join the NWSA in order to be considered, although not mandatory.
• Citizens Bank TruFit Good Citizen Scholarship, which awards $1,500 to $10,000 to graduate students at an accredited university. It is designed specifically to help those who volunteer and give back to their community. A written or video essay must be submitted to be considered for the scholarship, which must highlight how students contribute to their community through voluntary work, and how they feel their degree will assist them in further benefiting the community once they have graduated.