The following page is collection of graduate programs and schools offering Master’s level degrees without the GRE test requirement. If there is a school which should be added or a known error in the below information let us know. Some schools on this page are ‘Featured Partner Schools’ and indicated as such by *. Any and all corrections or additions to this page are welcome.
Did you know?
FACT: Colleges are turning out more graduates than the market can bear, and a master’s is essential for job seekers to stand out — that, or a diploma from an elite undergraduate college, says Richard K. Vedder, professor of economics at Ohio University and director of the Center for College Affordability and Productivity. – Source New York Times
Jump to an Online Graduate Program
- Business MBA
- Public Health
- Social Work
- Public Administration
- Healthcare Management
- Healthcare Informatics
- Healthcare Administration
- Library Science
- Criminal Justice
- Human Resources
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics/Intelligence
- Information Technology
- Technology Management
- Marriage/Family Therapy
- Risk Management
- Hospitality Management
Masters in Accounting Online
- *Southern New Hampshire University – Masters of Accounting + Auditing, Forensic Accounting, Taxation– SNHU’s master’s in accounting online meets the 150-credit-hour requirement to sit for the CPA exam in most states. (Requirements to sit for the CPA exam vary by state. Be sure to contact the Board of Accountancy in your state for complete details.)
- *Liberty University – Masters in Accounting – Courses prepare students to excel as leaders in their field through in–depth study of both national and international accounting practices. No GRE or GMAT required. Ranked among top Regional Universities in the South by U.S. News and World Report in 2015. Largest private university.
- *Master – Professional Accounting – Colorado State University-Global Campus \(CSU-Global\) will prepare you for a rewarding career as a CPA, as you gain knowledge for the CPA exam and earn the number of graduate credits you must have for most state accountancy boards. Ranked among the 2015 Best Online Graduate Education Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- *Master of Science in Accountancy – Saint Marys University of Minnesota – Learn advanced accounting practices as well as business and managerial acumen to take your current knowledge to the next level.
- Cleveland State University offers a Master of Accountancy program designed to prepare students for careers in business, auditing, government and public accounting. The program is fully accredited by the ACCSB International. No GRE is required.
- FIU offers a Fast Track schedule Master of Accounting program with convenient schedules, locations and exposure to diverse professionals. AACSB accredited, NO GRE required.
- *Southern New Hampshire University – Masters of Finance – We offer highly respected finance-related graduate degrees, having been founded as an accounting school in 1932. Our MS in Finance online degree program continues this fine tradition. As a SNHU student, you’ll have access to internship and networking opportunities through well-connected alumni who have earned their graduate finance degrees.
- *Florida Tech University Online – Master of Business Administration with a Specialization in Finance – This program is offered by Florida Tech provides you with an understanding of core business principles, in addition to industry-specific knowledge of financial practices and theories. From risk and return to capital structure, stock and bond investment, and international financial concepts, this program explores a variety of subjects in commercial banking, corporate finance, investment banking and financial planning.
- *University of Saint Mary – MBA in Finance – This program provides a strong grounding in this vital aspect of business. Students learn to anticipate and implement solutions to financial issues facing an organization by studying such topics as: • Financial markets and instruments • Capital structure • Financing a business • Allocating funds for financial investments • Risk management • Planning for future growth
- *Online MBA – Southern New Hampshire University – Compete locally and globally with a master’s in business – and join students who are creating small businesses and reshaping corporations. All SNHU Online MBA programs are ACBSP accredited. Choose from over 20 different MBA specializations!
- *Online MBA – Washington State University – WSU offers the highest quality, online MBA program that is made to provide you with the most challenging learning environment so you can greatly enhance your business aptitude. Completed in as few as 22 months and delivered online. Ranked among the Best National Universities in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report and ranked No. 3 overall in U.S. News & World Report’s 2014 rankings of the Best Online Graduate Business Programs for Veterans.
- *Online MBA – Northeastern University – Earn your MBA from a highly-ranked university that was one of the first to offer its MBA in an online format. The Financial Times ranks Northeastern University’s Online MBA #4 in the U.S. (2016). Northeastern’s D’Amore-McKim School of Business is AACSB accredited.
- *Online MBA – Kaplan University – Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report. First-time students save up to $12,750 with our scholarships and grants!
- If you want to earn a top quality MBA with no GRE requirement, you should consider Florida Tech University Online. This program is highly rated by US News and World Report, and it offers many different MBA programs depending on your needs.
- One of the best MBA programs online that does not require the GRE or GMAT is the MBA program from Purdue University. You will be able to earn your degree online and learn from some of the best faculty in the world.
- *Southern New Hampshire University – Master of Science in Marketing – New Media and Communication – The online master’s in marketing research and analytics concentration will focus on quantitative tools and techniques and their application in a marketing context. You’ll gain an understanding of the relationship between marketing factors and variables and the consumer. You’ll learn how to analyze data using mathematical, probabilistic and statistical tools to guide and support marketing-related decisions.
Masters in Psychology
- SMU (Southern Methodist University) Department of Psychology consists of nationally recognized faculty members with various research programs in a variety of areas. No GRE is not required.
- The University of North Dakota offers a Master of Arts in Forensic Psychology program which is online and requires NO GRE.
Masters in Forensic Psychology
- The Chicago School of Psychology has a Master of Arts in Forensic Psychology that can really help to boost your career if you work in law enforcement, corrections, treatment facilities or other types of social services agencies. This is the only online master’s in forensics program in the Midwest. The GRE and GMAT is not required for the master’s program.
- The Master of Arts in Forensic Psychology from the University of North Dakota is a 34 credit program that you can take almost entirely online. You do need to visit the campus once during the two year program. You will gain the most advanced knowledge available on advanced forensic psychological concepts. The GRE is not required for the master’s program.
Masters in Applied Psychology
- *Liberty University – Masters in Applied Psychology – The Department of Psychology offers a Master of Science in Psychology with a concentrations in Developmental Psychology and Industrial Organizational Psychology. No GRE or GMAT required. Ranked among top Regional Universities in the South by U.S. News and World Report in 2015. Largest private university.
MPH – Masters in Public Health
- *Liberty University – Masters in Public Health – This MPH program is an applied science degree that focuses on epidemiology and biostatics. It provides both knowledge and practical experience for those seeking a career in public health, including a required practicum designed to develop leadership ability and communication skills. No GRE or GMAT required. Ranked among top Regional Universities in the South by U.S. News and World Report in 2015. Largest private university.
- *Located in the heart of Washington, D.C. the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities through their Online Master’s of Public Health (MPH). Ranked among the Best National Universities in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report. Ranked 8th among the Best Online Graduate Education Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- *University of New England is one of the newest universities to take their Online Masters in Public Health MPH. It is also available as a Campus option. Not only is it CEPH accredited, there is No GRE requirement.
- *The University of Southern California – Master of Public Health (MPH) – This Online program is designed to prepare the next generation of public health leaders. Offered through the highly regarded Department of Preventative Medicine at the Keck School of Medicine of USC, students in the program are directly connected to state-of-the-art facilities and the latest breakthrough research at this acclaimed institution.
- MSPH – Masters of Science in Public Health at University of St. Thomas is more of an academic MPH rather than professional. Depending on experience a GRE may or may not be required.
Masters in Nursing Online
- *Liberty University – Master of Science in Nursing Administration – Ranked among top Regional Universities in the South by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- *Liberty University – Master of Science in Nursing – Nurse Educator – Stands as the largest private, nonprofit university in the nation with 100,000+ students.
- *Keiser University Graduate School – Master of Science in Nursing – This program offers an advanced nurse generalist focus which provides contemporary professional skills and knowledge for leadership in the healthcare system. The program encourages nurses to develop scholarly practice to deliver health care that is caring, holistic, effective, patient-centered, timely, efficient, and equitable. This program aims to fulfill the recommendations of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) guidelines as prescribed in the Essentials of Masters Education in Nursing for professional Nursing practice (AACN, 2011).
- *California University of Pennsylvania – MSN in Nursing Administration & Leadership – This program helps prepare graduates in the advanced practice roles of administrators and leaders. These nurse leaders will address prevailing health and nursing issues, and have a comprehensive understanding of and beginning competence in nursing research, and foundation for doctoral study in nursing.
- *University of Cincinnati – Masters in Nursing MSN – Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner – The Adult-Gero Primary Care Nurse Practitioner specialty is for the registered nurse interested in primary or specialty care.
- *University of Cincinnati – Masters in Nursing MSN – Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner – A Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner provides holistic, comprehensive healthcare for women across their lifespan.
- *University of Cincinnati – Masters in Nursing MSN – Nurse Midwifery – A Nurse-Midwife offers an alternative to the traditional medical model of care.
- Jacksonville University offers an MSN in Nursing that you can complete in about 2 years of work, all of it online. You can work towards a degree focused on leadership in healthcare systems, or clinical nurse educator. No standardized test scores, such as GRE, are required.
- *University of Saint Mary – MSN in Nurse Administration/MSN in Nurse Educator – With the online MSN program from the USM you’ll get a flexible and affordable education at an institution recognized by The Princeton Review. Designed for licensed nurses with a BSN, this degree is CCNE accredited and integrates the Essentials of Master’s Education in Nursing as outlined by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
Masters in Teaching Online (MAT Degree, Master of Arts in Teaching)
- Michigan State University College of Education offers a masters in special education in The Department of Counseling, Educational Psycholoygy and Special Education department. The GRE is not required for admission into the program.
- *Kaplan University – Masters in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12 and MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- *Master of Arts in Teaching: If you are passionate about teaching and want to have a successful teaching career, you should consider the MAT program from Walden University. This is an accelerated online master’s program that is made for those who have a bachelor’s degree and want to become a teacher. This program features virtual field experiences, school-based field experiences, assignments that provide you with classroom-based teaching experience, and an advanced curriculum that is based upon modern state and national industry standards.
Masters in Education Online
- *Liberty University – Masters in Education – This degree will prepare you for leadership roles in Christian, public, and private school systems. Coursework provides focused training for those seeking a position as a K-12 educator or those wanting to further their education by pursuing an Education Specialist degree or Doctor of Education.. No GRE or GMAT required. Ranked among top Regional Universities in the South by U.S. News and World Report in 2015. Largest private university.
- *University of New England – Masters of Science in Education – You will explore leadership principles inside and outside the classroom. You also will learn about the different theories and types of instructional models, teaching strategies and how to create differentiation in the classroom. No GRE is required.
- Wayland Baptist University has a solid Master of Education that has these specializations: instructional leadership, instructional technology, higher education, special education and educational administration. No GRE scores are needed.
Masters in Social Work Online
- *Rutgers University – Masters of Social Work MSW – This online and CWSE-accredited program gives you the flexibility to enhance your knowledge—and your career—without having to put your life on hold.
- *University of Southern California is one of the first elite universities in the US to offer its Master of Social Work online. You will enjoy a highly stimulating academic program, and you will be able to collaborate with some of the top professors and students in the field of social work. The GRE may be waived by the department.
- The online Master of Social Work Program at Boston University gives you a chance to earn a highly respected degree from an elite research university. You can focus on clinical social work practice in this two year program and become eligible for professional licensure. The GRE is not required if your GPA is over 3.0.
- Simmons College School of Social Work – Masters of Social Work MSW – This 15 month Online MSW program is CSWE accredited with No GRE required.
- Widener University – Masters of Social Work MSW – This Online MSW program focuses on the impact of trauma, a leading factor in mental health, and other social-emotional issues that affect quality of life.
MPA – Masters in Public Administration
- *Ohio University – Master of Public Administration – The online MPA from Ohio University’s Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs is a program that can help you bolster your passion for public service with the expertise to find solutions. Become an expert communicator.
- *University of San Francisco – Master of Public Administration – offers a NASPAA and WASC Accredited program with no GRE for qualified applicants. The the MPA program is ranked top 2% Nation’s Best Graduate Programs by U.S. News. Graduate in under 24 months.
- Norwich University – Master of Public Administration – Graduate in as few as 18 months. Choose from 8 different concentrations including Criminal Justice and Public Safety, Fiscal Management, International Development and Influence, Municipal Governance, Nonprofit Management, Policy Analysis and Analytics, Public Administration Leadership and Crisis Management and Public Works and Sustainability.
- The University of Illinois at Springfield offers a Master’s of Public Administration (MPA) degree that strives to advance the public interest and civic engagement. Applicants are encouraged to submit their GRE exam scores but not required for either on-ground or online programs.
- *The George Washington University – Online Healthcare MBA – This program is immersed in values, rigorous in theory, and experiential in practice and is based on the concepts of ethics, global business, and leadership. Designed for working professionals, the GW Healthcare MBA presents effective business and management strategies and applies them to healthcare environments.
- *Maryville University – Online MBA in Healthcare Practice Management – This program allows students to study advanced topics in healthcare industry and practice management, healthcare practice management operations, medical law, ethics, risk management, and quality and population health management.
- *University of Saint Mary – Health Care Management MBA – This pogram offers in-depth knowledge of business concepts and skills applied specifically to the health care industry. Coursework prepares students to become effective managers and leaders in the health care management field.
- *Colorado State University-Global Campus \(CSU-Global\) – Masters in Healthcare Administration & Management – Gain comprehensive knowledge and the skills required to be successful leader in public and private healthcare sectors.
- *University of Southern California – Executive Master of Healthcare Administration – This online program features a solution-driven curriculum focused on themes that directly relate to accountability and administration of health service organizations.
- *Abilene Christian University – Master of Healthcare Administration or MBA in Healthcare Administration – Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
Masters in Informatics Online
- *University of Cincinnati – Master of Health Informatics – This online program at UC’s College of Allied Health Sciences and College of Business is delivered online with one of the most affordable tuition rates in the country, and offered as a one or two year program.
- The University of Illinois at Chicago is one of the top educators in the country for its health informatics program. Here you can earn your Master of Science in Health Informatics, with a particular focus on research. No GRE is required.
- After you graduate with your Health Informatics Master’s Degree from Northeastern, you will have an outstanding ability to communicate effectively with clinicians, administrators and IT professionals. You do not need GRE scores.
Masters in Library & Information Science
- *Rutgers University – Master of Information Online – Our 100 percent onlineand ALA-accredited program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise—and your career—without having to put your life on hold.
- Drexel University Online offers a masters in library & information science that does not require the GRE. GRE waiver review is automatic once final transcripts are received.
- *The University of Southern California – Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science (MMLIS) – This program prepares librarians and information professionals with the advanced knowledge, communication skills and practical leadership abilities needed to become an effective manager, problem-solver, decision-maker and leader.
Masters in Criminal Justice Online
- *Liberty University – Masters of Criminal Justice – This program provides advanced training in criminal justice and professional administration. Highly rated by US News & World Report.
- *University of Cincinnati – Master of Science in Criminal Justice – At UC you can earn your Master’s Degree in Criminal Justice. You can both work to improve the quality of the criminal justice system, and also elevate your career. With this degree, you can move your career in many desirable directions in criminal justice. Led by decorated professors, the 16-course curriculum in the online Master of Science in Criminal Justice program is designed to expose you to every part of the criminal justice industry. There is no GRE score requirement.
- Florida State University offers an online Master’s Degree in Criminal Justice that will increase your ability to advance into leadership positions in law enforcement, and also to be prepared to manage a business that is related to criminal justice, and possibly work in the field as a consultant. You do not need to take the GRE for admission.
Masters in Human Resources Online
- *Southern New Hampshire University – Masters of Human Resources – In the master’s in human resources online program, you’ll learn to plan, implement and evaluate the effectiveness of HR programs and align these programs to the organization’s missions and goals.
- Villanova University has a highly acclaimed Master of Science in Human Resource Development. The curriculum includes HRT, organizational change management, benefits, compensation, employment law, organizational training and HR technology solutions. GRE scores are not required for most master’s programs.
- Western Carolina University has a Master in Human Resources that will boost your knowledge of the true potential of all people in organizations. You will be prepared to work in many jobs in the HR field, such as HR manager, labor relations, and trainer. Your GRE scores may not affect your admission if you have other strong attributes.
- Franklin University – Masters in Computer Science – Fortune 500 companies need computer science graduates to help them meet their software needs. Business depends on technology and graduates like you. This program is rated among the Best Affordable Online Masters by GetEducated.com
- *Southern New Hampshire University – MS in Data Analytics – The 12-course master’s in analytics core covers everything from Foundations of Data and Decision Methods and Modeling, to Presentation and Visualization of Data, Optimization and Risk Assessment, and Predictive Analytics.
Masters in Information Technology Online
- *Southern New Hampshire University – Masters in Information Technology(Database Design, Internet Security, Software App Development, Web Design) – A master’s in information technology degree is a vital tool in today’s competitive business environment. Organizations in every industry seek IT professionals who can think beyond traditional computer programming and basic technology expertise.
- You can earn your Master’s in Information Technology from California State University Fullerton, and you can become a qualified expert in Internet technologies, business intelligence and data communication. GRE scores are not critical for admission to this program.
Masters in Counseling Online
- Seton Hall offers a 60 credit hour Master’s of Arts in Counseling that is specially designed for students who want to have a career as a professional mental health counselor. It also is appropriate for those who want to go on to earn their PhD. GRE scores may be waived depending upon work experience and academic record.
- Wake Forest University has a Master of Arts in Counseling and a Master of Arts in Human Services that will train you to be a highly skilled counselor or a human service professional. GRE scores may be waived in some cases.
Masters in School Counseling
- The online Master of Education in School Counseling from Salem College will prepare you, the passionate educator, who wants to make a serious difference in the lives of students of all backgrounds. This is one of the best master of education programs in the state of North Carolina.You do not need GRE or GMAT scores to attend this university.
- Cogswell College – The Master of Arts in Entrepreneurship & Innovation – This highly rated program provides self starters like you the business foundation to launch your start up venture or take lessons in innovation back to your employer or workplace.
- *Southern New Hampshire University – Master’s in Organizational Leadership – The master’s in organizational leadership online program provides key knowledge and skills for effectively facilitating and managing change in the real world.
- *Liberty University – Masters in Public Policy– This program will equip you to serve effectively as an expert in the field of public policy, emphasize the importance of applying ethics to management practices and integrate faith with learning in a professional atmosphere. No GRE or GMAT required. Ranked among top Regional Universities in the South by U.S. News and World Report in 2015. Largest private university.
- *Southern New Hampshire University – MS in Cybersecurity – The master’s in cyber security online program provides an in-depth learning experience, with a core focus on network management and security, knowledge management and web fundamentals.
- *Liberty University – Masters in Cyber Security– This program will equip students to manage operations critical to ensuring the integrity of an organization’s cyberspace infrastructure. No GRE or GMAT required. Ranked among top Regional Universities in the South by U.S. News and World Report in 2015. Largest private university.
Masters in Engineering Online
- UCLA offers a strong, challenging Master of Science in Engineering degree that you can do entirely online. This program is designed for the highest quality engineers who cannot attend a regular campus master’s program.The GRE requirement can be waived if you have a strong GPA.
- Boston University – Masters of Business Community, Security and Risk Management – This program helps students to learn a deep understanding of enterprise-wide management for all types of threats. Individual aspects of risk management use ERM principles and standards.
Masters in Hospitality Management Online
- With your Master’s in Hospitality Management from Drexel University Online, you will learn the skills that you need to advance your career into higher positions in the hospitality industry. After you graduate, you will have excellent job possibilities both in the US and abroad. You do not need to take the GRE.
- Northeastern University offers a Master of Science in Hospitality Administration. You will study the key areas of hospitality administration, such as finance, budgeting, corporate strategy and project management. You also will learn about legal and ethical problems, leadership, HR and sustainability. No GRE is required.
Why Earn a Master’s Degree?
There are many reasons you should consider getting your master’s degree in any of the aforementioned fields. Below we explain in detail why obtaining a master’s degree in many fields can be a wise long term investment in your career.
For many people, the benefits of earning a master’s comes down simply to dollars and cents. A 2015 Georgetown University study called the Economic Value of College Majors determined that bachelor’s degree holders earn a $61,000 average salary over their careers. Meanwhile, master’s degree earners will make $78,000 per year on average.
Naturally, your area of study will affect just how much more you will earn with a master’s degree. Many of the more technical professions, such as computer science, engineering, and finance, will definitely see a greater bump in salary with a graduate degree than in most liberal arts fields.
In computer science, for example, the study determined that the average salary for a bachelor’s holder in computer science was $83,000 over one’s lifetime, and $100,000 with a master’s degree.
For a liberal arts field such as advertising and PR, the benefit is less pronounced – $54,000 versus $65,000.
Better Job Security
In a very competitive global economy, getting a master’s degree will set you well apart from other job seekers. In fact, you are simply more eligible for a higher number of jobs with a master’s degree.
Surveys suggest that from 2006 to 2016, the number of posted jobs that required a master’s degree went up almost 20%. In many job sectors today, a master’s is slowly replacing a bachelor’s as the minimum degree needed to be considered.
Thirty years ago, you could often get an entry level job with a bachelor’s degree in most fields. For instance, you could get your foot in the door with a bachelor’s in admissions at a college. Now, you must generally have a master’s to be considered for the same position.
Unemployment data confirms that master’s degree holders have a lower unemployment rate. The US Census found in 2012 that the unemployment rate for graduate degree holders was 3.5%, and 4.5% for bachelor’s holders.
Superior Career Development
Master’s programs are becoming more and more specialized, with a renewed focus today in preparing you for dynamic careers in business, science, nonprofits and more. Also, master’s programs routinely have more advanced courses that will teach you very valuable skills in critical thinking, analysis, time management and other important skills needed to succeed in upper level management roles.
Also, many decision makers think that people who have earned a master’s degree while working at least part time have shown that they have the discipline and intelligence to handle great challenges successfully. This experience bodes well for your potential success in the workplace after graduate school.
Personal Development and Networking
Most master’s students are serious because they are experienced professionals who are taking time from their work and professional lives to further their education. Being around these types of dedicated students on a daily basis will help you to develop both personally and professionally.
People in a master’s program will have years of experience and often have a large network of like-minded professionals. You can often leverage your experience and their experience and networks to further your career goals. There are many examples over the years of business professionals who got their next opportunity after graduate school from a classmate or professor.
Generous Funding Often Available
Some people do have to pay for much of their graduate education, but not always. Many graduate schools offer scholarships, fellowships and discounts that can take a nice chunk from your tuition bill.
Also, if you are currently working full time, your employer may pay for part or all of your graduate school tuition. You would likely need to agree to stay in your current company for a few years, but many professionals are able to greatly reduce their out of pocket costs for grad school in this manner.
Graduate Classes Are Often Better
Anyone who went through undergraduate school knows you frequently need to take very basic general education classes of no interest to you. Anyone recall taking English requirements to graduate from a bachelor’s in engineering program? In graduate school, you get to focus more specifically on your subject area, whether it is business, engineering or computer science.
For these reasons, many graduate students find that earning their master’s is beneficial personally, professionally and financially.
New York State University. (n.d.). Why Pursue a Master’s Degree? Retrieved from http://gsas.nyu.edu/object/masterscollege.prospective.whypursue
Georgetown University. (2015, Feb.). From Hard Times to Better Times – College Majors, Unemployment, and Earnings. Retrieved from https://qz.com/347927/graduate-school-salary-increase/
Huffington Post. (2013, Oct. 16). 9 Reasons to Pursue a Master’s Degree Besides the Paycheck. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/uloop/9-reasons-to-pursue-a-masters-degree_b_4097366.html