The field of global management looks at how businesses run their international operations. This includes finance, human resources, marketing, and sales. Global management is a very popular field of stud, due to the fact that the world, thanks to the internet, is becoming increasingly global in terms of its commerce and operations.
Thanks to the internet and other advances in technology, a lot of businesses have been able to start working in countries abroad as well. This means that there is an increased requirement for knowledge of global business management, which also considers the social, historical, and cultural aspects. Through this knowledge, companies are able to find their place in their niche market in a successful way.
If you complete an MBA in global management, you will be an expert on standard business principles. On top of that, you will gain an understanding of how different cultures and customers differ, what regional policies are in place in different countries, and so on. It is also beneficial if you are able to speak multiple languages, as this would significantly increase your employability in various countries.
Why Earn a Global Management MBA?
Some say that the global management MBA is the best MBA to get, because it is so relevant in today’s world. It will certainly give you the opportunity to either switch careers, or take the company you work for to the next level, expanding its reach. On a personal level, it gives you the opportunity to really deepen your understanding of how the world works, while at the same time becoming a true leader. It is the perfect degree for those who are at that point in their career that they are ready to find something that builds on their strength, while addressing their goals.
One of the key benefits of obtaining this degree is the advancement potential you get by improving your business skills and knowledge in the international market. You will also learn to grow your skills as a leader, enabling you to inspire others to make better decisions. Upon completing of your MBA, you will have the practical tools to address your own talent to the needs of your organization. Because of this potential for advancement, the global management MBA also offers a fantastic return on investment.
There is also the fact that you can have a true transformative impact on the world as a whole due to the global context. You will become a true global leader, which means you have an understanding of the different international challenges, and also what the core humanistic values are. You will learn to think about organizations in a different way, seeing things from a human point of view, and being an expert in managing personal relationships that break through the barriers of cultural differences. The empowerment and insight you get from this can truly transform your life and the world.
A final reason to complete the Global Management MBA is because it will enable you to experience true personal growth. You will learn about who you are and what your goals are, and how best to achieve them.
There are quite a number of schools that offer the global management MBA course, and most of them class it as an executive program. This means that the admission requirements, which are already competitive for MBA programs, are even more competitive for this one. While each school has its own requirements, the following criteria from the University of Navarra IESE Business School are commonly seen across the board:
• 10 years relevant professional work experience at managerial level
• Clear evidence of career progress
• An existing university degree
• Professional letters of reference
• A support letter from your current employer
• Proof of identification
• GMAT/GRE, although this requirement is often waived based on work experience
• TOEFL/IELTS for non-native English speakers
Commonly, schools will also want you to demonstrate your experience in specific fields of management, including:
• Management and leadership experience
• Personal and professional achievement
• Demonstrable positive impact on your company and on society
• English public communication and interpersonal skills
• Goals for completing the program
• Ability to complete the program, in terms of motivation, finances, and time constraints
Curriculum and Courses
Just as the exact admission criteria are different between schools but follow a common pattern, so does the curriculum. A good example has been provided by the University of California Berkeley, Haas School of Business, which has the following courses as part of their Global Management MBA:
• Data and decisions
• Leadership communication
• Leading people
• Economics for business decision making (macroeconomics)
• Financial accounting
• Marketing management
• Introduction to finance
• Macroeconomics in the global economy
• Strategic leadership
• Responsibility and ethics in business
• Applied innovation
Career Outcomes and Job Titles
With a Global Management MBA, you can work in virtually any industry as a manager. Common job titles include:
• Management analyst
• Financial manager
• Marketing manager
• Chief financial officer
• Chief operating officer
• Marketing director
• Financial analyst
• Facility manager
• Global program director
• International sales and marketing manager
• Global account manager
• International banking manager
• International trade manager
• Business development manager
Job Salary & Outlook
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), all management analysts earned $81,320 per year as of May 2015, but at the bachelor’s degree level. Obtaining an MBA can increase your salary by an average of $15,000 a year. The BLS has also reported a projected growth of 14% by 2024, which is much faster than average.
Scholarships and Grants
• Forte Foundation – Forte Fellows Program: created in order to encourage more women to take part in MBA programs. The scholarship is available to those enrolled in an executive MBA program at a sponsored schools.
• Women of the Elca, which is for women taking part in studies across all levels.
• Eve’s Addiction, which offers the Eve’s Addiction Scholarship. This is a $1,500 scholarship available for students all over the country who have strong intelligence and goals for their future.