Carey School of Business
Looking for a MSN Degree Program without the GRE requirement? Graduating with a master’s degree in nursing, usually a master’s of science in nursing, or MSN, will make you well qualified to work as an advanced practice nurse. After you earn your master’s degree and take the needed state examinations, you will be qualified to work in a variety of advanced nursing settings, including:
- Nurse practitioner
- Clinical nurse specialist
- Certified nurse anesthetist
- Certified nurse midwife
Some nursing professionals with an MSN also work in health care administration.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, nursing will have 26% more jobs by 2020, which is a very fast growth rate. Also, the median salary for all registered nurses was $64,000 in 2009. Professional nurses working in fields with an MSN can easily earn $80,000 a year and more, depending upon the specialty.
Why Earn a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
Many nurses enjoy a wonderful career with only their associate’s or bachelor’s degree in nursing. But did you know how many more options are open to you with an MSN degree?
MSN holders have many more job opportunities with a high degree of responsibility and pay. Also, with healthcare evolving so quickly, many new opportunities are opening up each year for nurses with an MSN degree as more demand is leading to a shortage in doctors. Nurses with an MSN are often called upon to pick up the slack.
Here are some more great reasons to earn your MSN today:
A bachelor’s degree in nursing prepares you for general nursing work, while a graduate degree gives you much more detailed training in your area of interest. Also, California State University states that the main reason for an MSN degree is so that nursing professionals can gain a high level of skill to attain a leadership position in nursing.
The additional skills that you learn in a specialty in nursing will provide you with many opportunities to work in nursing leadership. With your MSN, you will be a highly specialized nurse and will no longer be just taking orders and performing routine nursing care.
Also remember, an MSN is required for you to work in advanced practice nursing, which includes the specialties of clinical nurse specialist, nurse practitioner, nurse midwife or nurse anesthetist.
There is a severe doctor shortage in America today. Experts say that the greater access to health insurance is providing more care to many Americans. Advanced practice nurses are often needed to fill in the care gaps.
The shortage of doctors is a major reason why many states are trying to allow advanced nursing practice professionals with an MSN to do more of the jobs that doctors do. Some experts have recommended that NPs and nurse midwives should be able to practice independently in more states, and should receive the same compensation for doctors offering the same services.
At least 28 states are thinking about reducing barriers for advanced nursing practice professionals.
Need for Nursing Teachers
There is a great need for more nursing educators with MSN degrees. Schools of nursing have had to turn away qualified nursing students because of a lack of teachers to teach them in undergraduate school and graduate school.
Advanced nursing practice professionals earn the most money. Most of the best paying nursing jobs require you to have an MSN degree at least. Most of the high paying nursing jobs make at least $80,000 per year.
Featured Online Master’s in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing: Capella University offers a CCNE-accredited, online MSN. Students can develop the expertise they need to take their career further and lead in nursing with an online Capella master’s degree. The university offers an MSN degree with specializations in care coordination, nursing education, nursing informatics, and nursing leadership and administration. These specializations are available in two online learning formats, including the groundbreaking FlexPath format that lets students set their own deadlines, completing as many courses as they can every 12 weeks, up to two at a time, for one flat tuition.
- Master of Science in Nursing: At Jacksonville University, you can earn your MSN entirely online in either Leadership in Healthcare Systems, or Clinical Nurse Educator. In this fully accredited program, you will be able to earn your MSN in as little as two years. With this master’s degree, you can start on the path to a rewarding career as a clinical nurse educator, education director or professor, not to mention all of the clinical nursing positions that you can work in. Jacksonville Univ is featured in our Online Masters Programs without the GRE report for 2017.
- Master of Science in Nursing: In this online program from Norwich University, you will be able to earn your MSN in as little as 18 months. You will take a broad array of classes that will teach you all of the skills that you need to become a leader in the field of nursing. Classes that you will take include health systems analysis, nursing leadership, health care organizations and more. You can choose from two primary tracks in Administration or Education.
- Master of Science in Nursing: If you want to take your nursing career to the next stage, you should think about an MSN from Loyola University. this program will ready you for good-paying nursing leadership roles with this degree with a specialty in health systems management. This specialization will give you the skills and knowledge that you need to be successful in many leadership roles in the healthcare field. You will learn about nursing administration, leadership, quality assurance, finance, health promotion, disease prevention, and managed care strategies.
- Master of Science in Nursing: This leading online graduate nursing degree from Joseph ‘s College will prepare you for leading nursing roles in administration and education. You also can use this MSN degree to become a family nurse practitioner. This curriculum requires you to take classes in informatics, leadership, theory, ethics, public policy, and research. You will master all of the critical thinking skills that will ready you for many types of leadership roles in a health care setting.
- Master of Science in Nursing: At Johns Hopkins University, you can earn one of the best nursing degrees in the country and do it fully online in certain programs. You can do a fully online MSN for these specialities: clinical nurse specialist, health systems management, and public health nursing. You will be able to earn your MSN in about 24 months.
- Master of Science in Nursing: The online Master of Science program from Sacred Heart University offers you three specializations that you can select, based upon your career goals. There are Clinical Nurse Leader, Patient Care Services Administration and Nursing Education. This is a highly innovative and challenging program that will meet all of the educational needs of a nurse who is working full time, but needs more education to move higher in the nursing field.
- Master of Science in Nursing: At Georgetown University, you can earn your Master of Science Nursing with a variety of specialties. These include family nurse practitioner, adult gerontology nurse practitioner, nurse educator and nurse midwife. Most of the graduates of this elite online program are able to graduate in 24 months.
- Master of Science in Nursing: This online graduate nursing degree from Gonzaga University was designed to help the registered nurse who is working full time who also wants to gain an advanced role in the field. This is an evidence-based and practice-oriented program that will ready you for advancement as a Health Care Administrator, Nurse Education and Nurse Practitioner. This university has been ranked as one of the top online schools in the West by US News and World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing: In this online nursing degree program from Ball State University, you will study information technology and the nursing practice, education, administration and research. Then, you will take all of your nursing core classes, and then you will take your classes in your specialty, which includes leadership/administration, clinical nurse specialist or nurse educator.
Popular Career Paths for Master of Science in Nursing
A nurse practitioner or NP is a primary or secondary care provider who may provide most of the same services as a doctor. You will be responsible for providing a high level of care to patients and families in many settings.
Just as doctors do, you will assess patients, determine the best possible ways to improve their health or to manage it better. You also will talk to the patient and family about the best ways to have them to integrate better health promotion strategies into their daily lives.
Many nurse practitioners will specialize in a certain type of patient, such as the elderly, babies, or possibly patients that have diabetes or heart disease.
The scope of permitted duties for NPs may vary somewhat by state, but many NPs may work on an independent basis. They can, for example, usually prescribe drugs, order tests and interpret the results.
The job outlook for NPs is outstanding, with demand poised to soar by 35% by 2024. The median salary for NPs is $98,190. There are far more openings for nurse practitioners today than there are NPs, so you will have your pick of jobs. And you can even work more than one job if you want to get overtime pay.
A nurse anesthetist or CRNA provides anesthesia services and all related types of care during various types of surgeries as well as inpatient and outpatient services. They also are responsible for handling pain management and a variety of ER services as well.
CRNAs have the very important job of talking closely with the patient before the surgery about any medication allergies that they have. This is very important to ensure that anesthesia is given in a safe manner.
CRNAs are in great demand because they can perform most of the duties of anesthesiologists and require less training. CRNAs are often working in rural areas that previously did not have adequate access to anesthesia services.
CRNAs will see 19% increase in demand by 2024, so there will be plenty of jobs available, just as with NPs. The median pay in this growing field is
$157,140 per year.
A nurse midwife or CNM provides care specifically to women and their babies. These services usually include gynecological examinations, family planning, and prenatal care.
CNMs deliver babies and also manage a variety of emergency situations during labor. They often provide help during surgery to doctors during a birth by cesarean. CNMs frequently provide primary care to women and their babies.
A nurse midwife will also often provide wellness care to women and provide education to women about how to lead a healthier life through better nutrition and preventing diseases.
Nurse midwives will see a big 25% increase in demand by 2024, as the shortage in doctors to deliver babies and provide primary care to women is having a major effect.
The median salary in this profession is $92,510.
- Nurse Anesthetists, Nurse Midwives, and Nurse Practitioners. (2015, Dec. 17). Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/nurse-anesthetists-nurse-midwives-and-nurse-practitioners.htm#tab-5
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN). Nursing Faculty Shortage. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.aacn.nche.edu/media-relations/fact-sheets/nursing-faculty-shortage
- Fink, Jennifer (n.d). 5 Reasons to Get an MSN. Retrieved from http://nursinglink.monster.com/education/articles/22045-5-reasons-to-get-a-msn